In the dynamic world of remote work, the best online transcription companies to work for offer lucrative opportunities for both beginners and experienced transcriptionists.
These companies provide the flexibility to work from anywhere, attractive compensation packages, and a broad spectrum of industries to choose from.
From legal to medical, entertainment to academic, these transcription companies can be a launch pad for an exciting remote career or a source of additional income for those seeking part-time work.
Read on to discover some of the best online transcription companies to apply to and kick-start your transcription journey.
Get Access to a FREE TRANSCRIPTION WORKSHOP From Janet Shaughnessy (Professional Transcriptionist) for a limited time!
23 Best Online Transcription Companies to Join
- It is known for its micro-task model, dividing larger tasks into smaller segments, making it more manageable for transcribers.
- To join TranscribeMe, you need to pass their entrance exam, and the good news is, no previous experience or special equipment is necessary. Their training and exam process is free, providing a low-barrier entry for people new to the transcription industry.
- This company is known for its competitive pay rate, which starts at $15-$22 per audio hour for beginners and goes up to $50 per audio hour for specialized transcription tasks.
- Transcribers receive payment weekly via PayPal.
- GoTranscript is a global platform providing transcription and translation job opportunities.
- As a global platform, GoTranscript accepts applications from all countries.
- To join GoTranscript, one needs to pass a transcription test, and no prior experience is required making it an excellent option for beginners.
- The company offers a per audio or video minute rate, which allows the possibility of higher earnings for faster typists.
- Payments are made weekly through PayPal and Payoneer.
- Rev is a well-known platform offering flexible job opportunities in transcription, captioning, and subtitling.
- Rev offers opportunities globally.
- They require prospective transcriptionists to pass an English grammar quiz and submit a transcription sample as part of their application process.
- The pay rate at Rev varies from $0.30 to $1.10 per audio or video minute.
- They issue payments weekly via PayPal.
4. GMR Transcription
- This California-based company offers a variety of transcription jobs in fields like academic, business, legal, and more.
- While they primarily hire U.S. residents, they do occasionally open positions for international transcriptionists.
- Applicants are required to pass an English grammar test and a transcription test to join.
- Pay rates at GMR Transcription vary from $0.70 to $1.25 per audio minute based on the complexity of the task and the turnaround time.
- Payments are made monthly via direct deposit or check.
- It offers an excellent transcription job platform for those with great typing skills and a keen ear for accuracy.
- The company mainly specializes in legal and general transcription services and also provides Spanish transcription work.
- To join them, you need to be a legal resident of the U.S. or Canada, have a minimum typing speed of 60 WPM, and have a passing score on their language and typing tests.
- Experienced transcribers report earning an average of $10-$20 per hour, with a higher rate for specialized transcriptions.
- SpeakWrite pays twice a month via direct deposit, providing regular cash flow for its transcriptionists.
6. Daily Transcription
- It provides a great platform for both seasoned and novice transcriptionists.
- The company accepts U.S. and Canadian applicants.
- To join, applicants need to pass a skills assessment test, after which they are given short training before they start working on assignments.
- Transcriptionists receive between $0.75 and $0.85 for each audio minute, depending on task difficulty and turnaround time.
- Payments are made weekly via check.
- It is another great platform for transcriptionists. It offers a broad range of transcription job opportunities from user-generated content to high-end specialized transcriptions.
- You need to pass a qualification test to join them. The good news is, this is one of the few transcription companies that require no previous experience, making it an excellent choice for beginner transcriptionists.
- Depending on the audio difficulty, the pay rate varies from $0.25 to $1.00 for each audio minute.
- Payments are made bi-weekly through PayPal, making it convenient for transcribers to get their earnings.
- It offers an excellent opportunity for transcriptionists to work on diverse projects.
- Although they primarily hire U.S. residents, they do accept applications from other countries. To join, you must complete their transcription test.
- They pay around $0.005 per word, which roughly translates to $60-$100 for transcribing an hour of audio, depending on the audio quality and turnaround time.
- You’ll receive your payments through direct deposit, and while the schedule isn’t fixed, they usually pay you twice a month.
- Known for its flexible work schedule, Casting Words hires transcriptionists from all over the world.
- To get started, applicants need to pass a transcription test, and upon approval, they can start accepting assignments.
- The pay rate depends on the job and its difficulty level, but it usually ranges from $0.085 to $1 per audio minute.
- They pay weekly via PayPal, making it convenient for international transcriptionists.
- Specializing in closed captioning, transcription, and audio description services, 3Play Media offers a flexible work environment for transcriptionists.
- Currently, they only hire U.S. residents.
- Applicants must pass proficiency exams and type at least 75 words per minute to be eligible.
- Depending on the audio file complexity and length, the hourly pay rate is $10–$30.
- They pay bi-weekly through direct deposit.
- It is a platform that focuses on creating video captions to enhance video experiences for all, including the hearing impaired.
- CrowdSurf welcomes transcriptionists from all around the globe.
- The joining requirements are simple: basic transcription knowledge, a good command of English, and an active account on Mechanical Turk or Work Market.
- Transcriptionists are paid per task rather than by the hour, with rates ranging from $0.03 to $0.20 per media minute.
- Payments are made through Amazon’s Mechanical Turk or Work Market, usually within 48 hours of task completion.
- Babbletype offers regular transcription jobs focused on market research.
- It accepts transcriptionists from around the world.
- As for the joining requirements, applicants must pass an English language test and a transcription test, demonstrating excellent command of English and the ability to produce quality transcriptions.
- The company pays per audio minute, with the average earnings being around $0.45 per minute.
- Payments are made weekly via PayPal.
- It offers a diverse array of transcription jobs that span over 50 languages.
- The company provides job opportunities to transcriptionists all around the globe.
- The only requirement for joining is passing their rigorous transcription test, which evaluates both your transcription and language skills.
- Their payment rate is competitive, although exact figures are not disclosed on their website.
- The payments are typically made through PayPal and the frequency is on a weekly basis.
- Quicktate offers transcription jobs by transcribing voicemail messages, memos, letters, and other documents.
- Quicktate accepts applications worldwide.
- To join Quicktate, prospective transcriptionists must pass a background check and a quiz.
- The pay rate is approximately one cent for every four words transcribed.
- Payments are made weekly via PayPal.
- It is an excellent platform for those looking to specialize in legal transcription.
- Although their website doesn’t explicitly state eligible countries, it appears they are open to U.S. residents.
- To join their team, prospective transcriptionists must have at least 3 years of legal transcription experience, a typing speed of 60 WPM, and high-speed internet access.
- The pay rate, though not publicly disclosed, is said to be commensurate with the transcriptionists’ skill and experience levels.
- Payment is made bi-monthly through direct deposit.
16. Pioneer Transcription
- It is a platform that specializes in offering transcription opportunities in the legal, business, and academic fields.
- This company is open to U.S.-based transcriptionists only.
- To become a member, simply complete their online application and showcase your skills and proficiency by taking their transcription test.
- While they don’t disclose their pay rate publicly, they pride themselves on providing competitive compensation.
- Payments are disbursed via PayPal, but the frequency is not stated on their website.
17. Transcriptions ‘N Translations
- It is an entertainment-focused transcription company. They provide high-quality transcribing services to the entertainment sector, including TV shows and movies.
- There’s no specific country limitation, making it a global opportunity. However, prior experience in entertainment transcription can improve your chances of getting hired.
- The pay rate isn’t publicly disclosed but is known to be competitive within the industry.
- Payments are usually made via direct deposit on a bi-weekly basis.
18. AccuTran Global
- It is a well-known provider of transcription services worldwide. The company offers work in fields such as medical, financial, and general transcription.
- Eligibility for joining the company extends to candidates based in the U.S. and Canada.
- Applicants must pass a skills test to prove their transcription and language capabilities.
- Transcriptionists receive between $0.005 and $0.006 per word, depending on audio file complexity.
- The company disburses payments via check on a monthly basis to its contractors.
- As a global provider of transcription, subtitling, and closed captioning services, Voxtab offers a range of job opportunities for transcriptionists.
- Voxtab welcomes applicants from any country, expanding the pool of talent.
- To join Voxtab, applicants must have excellent language skills in their chosen language pair(s), strong listening skills, and good attention to detail. Transcription experience and relevant certifications are a plus.
- The pay rate is based on the project and its complexity, and payments are made monthly via bank transfer or PayPal.
- With transcription job opportunities in the legal, medical, and general fields, Ubiqus is a well-established firm.
- Ubiqus predominantly hires U.S.-based transcriptionists but may consider applicants from other countries.
- The requirement for joining is at least one to five years of relevant experience, depending on the transcription field.
- The company offers payment per word, and the rate depends on the transcriptionist’s experience and the project’s complexity.
- Payments are made monthly via direct deposit.
- Athreon provides ample opportunities for transcriptionists in various sectors such as healthcare, law enforcement, and business.
- While the company mainly hires from the U.S. and Canada, it sometimes considers applicants from other countries too.
- Joining Athreon requires previous transcription experience, preferably in the applicant’s chosen field, and passing a background check.
- The pay rate is determined on a per-line or per-word basis, and payments are dispatched every two weeks via direct deposit.
22. VIQ Solutions
- VIQ Solutions is a well-established transcription company that offers diverse opportunities in insurance, legal, law enforcement, and medical transcription.
- As an international company, VIQ Solutions accepts applications from multiple countries.
- The main requirements for joining include having a good command of the English language, strong typing skills, and previous transcription experience.
- The pay rate is dependent on the complexity and turnaround time of the tasks, usually competitive within the industry.
- Payments are made bi-weekly through direct deposit or check.
- It is a sister company to Quicktate, transcribing a larger range of document types.
- iDictate accepts applications worldwide.
- To join iDictate, transcriptionists must first have worked for Quicktate and proven their transcription skills.
- The pay rate is approximately one cent for every two words transcribed, making it double the rate of Quicktate.
- Payments are made weekly via PayPal.
How to Become a Freelance Transcriptionist From Home
Embarking on a freelance transcription career from home offers a flexible schedule, the potential for a lucrative income, and the opportunity to establish a business tailored to your preferences. Here are some crucial points to consider:
- Understand the Transcription Field: Comprehend what transcription entails, its various types, benefits, and the customary pay rates in the industry.
- Acquire Necessary Skills and Equipment: Develop the required skills and invest in essential equipment and software. Understand the qualifications necessary for this profession.
- Know Where to Look for Jobs: Familiarize yourself with online platforms and companies that offer transcription jobs, facilitating networking with potential clients.
For a more comprehensive guide, check out my article on how to become a freelance proofreader from home.
Remember, patience and determination are crucial when kick-starting a freelance transcription career. Building your client base and income might take some time, but with dedication, it can evolve into a gratifying work-from-home career.